Guide to the Best Mongoose Mountain Bikes of 2021
There has been a lot of discussion about Mongoose Mountain Bikes, particularly on mountain bike forums.
Are they good bikes? How do they ride? Are they worth the money? What’s the best mongoose mountain bike?
In this article I’ll try to answer these questions, including the one that appears the most number of times: are mongoose mountain bikes any good?
Who makes Mongoose mountain bikes?
Mongoose started as a BMX company based out of California and transitioned their way into selling mountain bikes over the years.
Mongoose is now owned by Dorel Industries, a Canadian company that owns other bike brands including Cannondale, Schwinn and a more.
The bikes are made in China and distributed throughout the United States by Pacific Cycle, which is owned by the same company that owns Mongoose (source).
How much are Mongoose mountain bikes?
Mongoose has a wide variety of mountain bikes from beginner up to advanced riders.
Prices vary, but the majority of the beginner bikes are less than $300, making them a great purchase for beginners, or those on a budget.
However, the higher quality mountain bikes range from over $500 all the way to $2,500 for their most expensive model.
Are they worth the money?
The best mongoose mountain bikes are absolutely worth the money, especially for children and individuals looking for a budget bike. Mongoose offers some of the most affordable mountain bikes and is one of the most recognized brands on the market.
If you are an experienced mountain biker and buy one of the Mongoose bikes that are sold in the stores like Walmart or Target, you will be probably disappointed by the quality.
Like most things, you get what you pay for. The more expensive bikes like the Fireball SS and the Boot’r are good bikes for veteran riders.
I like Mongoose mountain bikes because their selection caters to riders of all types, including kids and those looking for mountain bikes under $500.
are mongoose mountain bikes any good?
In short, these mountain bikes are great for children or people looking for mountain bikes under $300.
If you are an advanced or intermediate rider with a budget over $300, I suggest you read our other guides.
Best Mongoose mountain bikes
The best mongoose mountain bike is the Mongoose Boot’r Downhill Mountain Bike. Below I’ll go over this option, then through two of Mongoose’s other top of the line bikes, and finally move on to some of their more affordable options.
Mongoose Boot’r Downhill Mountain Bike
- Mongoose tectonic T2 aluminum horst-link DH frame is noticeably stronger and lighter; internal cable routing creates clean lines and adds protection
- Free floating technology suspension limits brake jack & provides predictable suspension progression; tuned 200 mm travel suspension soaks up huge hits
- Shimano Zee 1 x 10 drivetrain with Direct mount rear derailleur keeps weight down while remaining extremely dependable
- Tektro Slate T4 four-piston hydraulic disc brakes and levers help shed weight yet provide efficient Downhill braking and speed control
- Schwalbe Magic Mary DH 27.5 x 2.35″ tires cover light Sun Ringle Duroc 35 tubeless-ready rims for more tire clearance and a smooth, stable ride
Mongoose Fireball Mountain Bike
- Mongoose fireball is designed for serious dirt jump and slope style riders – it’s Pro rider Greg Watts’ Weapon of choice. This dirt jump mountain bike with 26-inch wheels has a suggested rider height of 5’4″ To 6’2″.
- Mongoose tectonic T1 aluminum frame offers lightweight durability in a dirt jump geometry with horizontal dropout and replaceable hanger
- Sun race 9-speed drivetrain with same af15-d36s 36T alloy crank, threaded 68mm shell, Shimano Altus rd-m2000 derailleur and Shimano Altus sl-2000 shifter, KMC Z99 chain, and mrp G3 chainguide.
- Mongoose Mechanical disc brakes with alloy 160mm rotors, exposure double-butted aluminum handlebars with 31. 8mm clamp measure 751mm wide with a 31mm rise, and long brake housing allows for bar-spins straight out of the box.
- Double-walled aluminum wheels measure 26mm with 32H at 14g, Kenda small block 26×2. 35 inch tires, and the exposure alloy seat post measures 201mm long.
Mongoose Status 2.2
- Aluminum full-suspension frame features a front suspension fork and rear shock for maximum trail performance
- 21-speed SRAM twist shifters and a Shimano rear derailleur offer a wide gear range and precise shifting
- Front and rear linear pull brakes for quick stops out on the trail
- Light and strong alloy rims add durability without weighing you down
- Knobby 2.125” wide mountain tires are ready for the trail
- Alloy 3-piece crank offers a wide gear range and less pesky maintenance on your end
Mongoose Dolomite Fat Tire
- Conquer any off road trail with ease with this steel framed mountain bike with supersized all terrain knobby tires
- A Shimano rear derailleur with seven speeds makes hills easier to climb, while twist Shifters make it smooth and easy to change gears while riding
- The threadless headset is adjustable for riders of different heights; For added speed and performance, the strong, lightweight alloy rims keep the weight down
- Ride comfortably with beach cruiser pedals and insure safety with front and rear disc brakes; Rear Hub: 26 inch
- This bike ships ready to be assembled; sized for adult riders 5 feet, 6 inches to 6 feet tall, and has a limited lifetime warranty
Best mongoose mountain bikes for kids
The best Mongoose mountain bike for kids is the Cipher kids mountain bike. It’s a great affordable option that’s high-quality and durable.
Mongoose Cipher Kids Mountain Bike
- Designed for young riders looking to transition to a multi-speed bike with larger wheels. Suggested rider height is 4’ to 5’ tall.
- Lightweight Mongoose Tectonic T1 aluminum frame and rigid aluminum fork offers durable, everyday riding.
- 7-speed rear derailleur with a twist shifter perfect for young riders.
- Nexus Inter3 brake and coaster brake deliver reliable stopping power.
- Kenda 20×1.75-inch tires and Xposure XP-163 single-wall aluminum rims.
Mongoose Exlipse Full Dual-Suspension Mountain Bike
- Designed with 24-inch wheels, this bike fits riders ages 8 and up, or 4′ 8″ to 5′ 6″ in height.
- Aluminum mountain-style frame with suspension fork to smooth out the ride and increase control.
- 21-speed twist shifters with a Shimano rear derailleur for quick, precise gear changes.
- Front and rear linear pull brakes deliver secure stopping power.
- 3-piece crank offers added durability with less maintenance.
Mongoose Rockadile Kids Hardtail Mountain Bike
- The rockadile with 20-inch wheels is designed for young riders who need a trail-worthy mountain bike that’s also great for a neighborhood ride and is designed for riders 4′ To 5′.
- Tectonic T1 aluminum frame and fork are lightweight and durable for years of reliability.
- The 7-speed drivetrain; Shimano Tourney derailleurs and Revo shifter with a same 140 mm crank offer precise gearing.
- The Mongoose rockadile’s aluminum linear pull brakes provide sure stopping power.
- Aluminum double Wall wheels with 20″x2. 35″ Mongoose mountain tires offer superior traction on any terrain